Wednesday 16 December 2015

Day 2: Bangalore Literature Festival 2015

This post is more than a week overdue. I was to write about the second day of the BLF’15 but got caught up with other writing deadlines.
Today I downloaded my Certificate of Completion for the How writers Write Fiction 2015 conducted by the University of Iowa’s International Writing Program. Seven weeks of rigorous work has paid off. This is the first writing course I’ve taken. I had enrolled for IGNOU’s creative writing program a few years ago but never saw it through.
Now to a recap of the second day of the BLF’15. The first talk of the day was by Anuj Dhar who is an expert on Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose. He claims (evidence in terms of files that need to be declassified) to have strong reasons to believe that Netaji died in Russia. He wielded the questions with great authority. Wonder what the truth really is.
Tipu Sultan was the hot topic of the next debate. It was well moderated by Maya Mirchandani of NDTV fame. Vikram Sampath, Prof. Hanuru--a historian, and a politician each from BJP and Congress provided both information and entertainment. I felt history is better left to historians; our politicians and their viewpoints definitely sway according to the vote bank.
The next talk (after I ate a pricey Masala dosa) was on short stories. I went to listen because Kulpreet Yadav, the editor of ‘Open Road Review’ was on the panel. ORR is a good blog with excellent content. He came into writing from a defence background.
I listened to a few authors talk about their work (with the moderator talking much more than the panelists). Poile Sengupta was kind enough to caution the audience about Macular Degeneration which she suffers from. How terrible for a reader or writer to have problems with eyesight.
Then I spent three hours listening to the shortlisted candidates who pitched their ideas at the LITMart to publishers. ( I too had been longlisted but didn’t make it to the shortlist.)

Every literary festival I attend, puts me a few steps onward in my writing journey. Loads of resolutions for the NEW YEAR.

No comments:

Post a Comment