Monday 12 May 2014

Getting back on track after 11520 minutes!

It happens sometimes and quite often too, that our best laid plans get derailed.I threw myself into a lazy week,not writing, not wanting to write because of so many things that,(now look trivial) just shoved me off my writing schedule last weekend.
I wish I had got back earlier .Laziness I realize is no worse than a Himalayan avalanche;feeding on excuses,self pity,regret and total lack of motivation,a little ball of lazy snow just grew into a deadly avalanche over an entire week.
"Don't write.Take it easy.You are not getting anywhere with your writing anyway.A few articles and a story and you stake claim to being a writer?Just cook,clean,read novels and nap.The blog and all your writing can take a vacation."
The feeling grew stronger with the passing of each non-writing day.In a stupid way I felt relaxed; 'Great!no need to break my back typing nonsensical stuff and dreaming of my books filling the book shelves' .How easy it was to just slip and slide away.
Yet there is a resilient part of me that forced me to look up inspirational quotations and drag myself back to my writing desk.Now this part of me cannot give up and keeps saying in a small insistent voice,"Get back on track,at least try to write.It's no picnic;thousands of words,drafts and single mindedness have got established authors where they are today .When we see them breezily accept the awards and accolades none of the loneliness and struggle is visible.It's not just luck.Build your writing muscle.Six months into writing regularly have got you six articles published in a leading newspaper and a short story in a popular magazine.One step at a time and let's see where you go".
The shirker in me is a strong bully and generally lets me get off with lazing.But the persistent needling little voice breaks through the avalanche and I am pulled back into sunshine.
Yes,like the Buddha said ,"You yourself,as much as anybody in the entire universe,deserve your love and affection",I am listening to that small voice that pulled me out of a snow fall of 11520 minutes when I did not write.
I did not berate myself too much-just forgave myself .
Sheepishly I am back to being my motivated self and shamefully rue the irrevocable loss of a good eight days.I have resolved to stay on track,however wobbly the going gets,because I really want to get there with my writing.
No matter what lies ahead,at least I'll know I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment