Wednesday 10 June 2015

Look at a gift horse in the mouth!

Gifting Gods
It was a hot Sunday morning in June. Thousands of people had gathered, forming serpentine queues to get a glimpse of the Goddess atop the Chamundi Hill. Loud devotional songs and cautionary announcements to devotees to safeguard their valuables rent the air. People using a ‘special ticket’ were ushered in with lesser delay. Some friends also spoke of using ‘influence’ to obtain a darshan closest to the sanctum sanctorum. But the majority of us felt this would be unfair on the huge crowds waiting patiently in the sun. Maybe we could come back early morning on another day. Before we left we observed how a locked temple door was opened readily for a film star and his bodyguards. It set me thinking about devotion.

Abandoned

Beheaded

I believe that God is everywhere and often find His presence in Nature, in doing my work sincerely and in leading a life following ethical guidelines set by my parents and teachers during my childhood. I’m happy and contented that way. I respect the others who worship and show their faith in ways different from mine, but what shocked me was the abandonment of Gods.
The other day I was walking to the park. At the turning of the road, on the edge of a gutter was a brand-new Ganesha idol with gift wrapping still clinging to it in places. Someone had assuaged their guilt by placing a long stem of Canna flowers against its left shoulder. Inside the park was a two feet idol of Shiva discarded under a rain tree. Subsequent rains beheaded the idol. I’ve observed this elsewhere too: old framed pictures of Gods and Goddesses no longer wanted inside puja rooms are left under trees or inside parks. Maybe the squirrels, mynas and crows do the worshiping. Or a few stary cats and dogs have turned to God.
I remember the old cottage where my grandparents lived. The walls were almost hidden behind calendars dating from many years past. All had giant pictures of Gods. My grandparents were perplexed as to how they could throw these revered objects and hung them on the walls unable to refuse.
Idols of Gods are considered the most appropriate choice when it comes to gifting. But how many of these can you keep and maintain with the respect and devotion they inspire? Fear keeps the recipient from showing disappointment or disregard for the gift, but then there really is no place in his/her home. Some new gifts are re-packaged and parceled off to some other unsuspecting bride or groom or a house owner. They will open their gift and scratch their heads. Like an unwanted foster child it will be sent off to a new home or deserted in some dark park hoping that some needy soul will adopt it and provide the care and adoration the God inspires.
Odd colored polyester blouse pieces of insufficient length, plastic trays and baskets, white metal lamps and artifacts.... I'll take these up on my next post. But you know how we are swamped by these!


No comments:

Post a Comment